Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Does anyone in the state of West Virginia. Know how to legally change your name?

Where can I find this information to change my name legally without having to change my gender. I have found only a thing that states that I can change my name legally in WVa. but only if I change my gender. They will then change my birth certificate to the new name and have the old name typed on there as well.Does anyone in the state of West Virginia. Know how to legally change your name?
In WV you can change you name by filing a petitioner with the court. you must explain in the petition why you desire the name change. You must also publish a legal notice stating that you plan on changing your name that anyone having reason to object to the change can file an objection with the court. When you file it you must submit a certified copy of your birth certificate as well as a copy of your current driver's license/identification card and your social security card. The court will hold the petition for 45 days waiting for any objections to be filed. At that time, if no objections are filed, the court will issue an order changing your name and directing that the name on your birth certificate be change and the certificate re-issued. The order will have to be taken to your local social security office and filed with them in order to get your social security card re-issued with the new name on it. Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment