Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How old is too old for opposite gender in change room at pool?

I have an almost 8 year old daughter, she goes to swimming lessons, they have 3 change rooms, 1 for boys, 1 for females and ones a family change room, meant for mothers who bring their sons or dads who bring their daughters, I go to the female change room, when we were in there, some mom brought in her (what looked to be) 6-7 year old son, I assume the family room was packed, but it made my daughter uncomfortable to undress in front of him, and he seemed just as embarrassed to undress, I talked to the receptionist at the front and she said if it happens again to tell the head life guard and they will remind the women that she should wait for the family room, I have a 13 month old son and am prepared to have to wait for change rooms when he is of age to go to swimming lessons.





Is it just me or is any kid over 3, too old to be in the opposite genders change room?How old is too old for opposite gender in change room at pool?
At the age that they ask to go to the other dressing room. As a girl when I was 10 we had a swimming pool that was open to both with stalls to dress in . Some would dress in the open area as guys 5 to 9 years.How old is too old for opposite gender in change room at pool?
I agree with you. 6 or 7 is way too old for a boy to be in the girls locker room. Shame on his mom.
I agree. Hell if I had a daughter/son I would have her wearing the swim suit underneath the normal clothes. That way nothing is exposed all that they would have to take off is their clothes and they are all ready.



Who knows what pervs are in the bathroom?
She may feel enbarresed so take her in a private 1 ???
sure why not.
I know what you mean. At our local pool there are boys even older than that in the female changing rooms. We don't have a 'family' option, so I guess the mothers at my pool are just trying to protect their sons from possible predators if they went into the male changing room alone. However I do think that boys over the age of 8 shouldn't be in the girls changing area its embarrassing for all concerned.
Ya I understand a kid being maybe 4 or 5 much still that is a little old still I would say. Sorry for your inconvenience. Parents should know better now a days with the youth and how they are acting.
Age 6-7 is more than old enough.



That being said. One class I took we all had boys, every single one of us. With ages from 5-9 (the 9 year old had special needs) so we decided to use the women's washroom to change together instead of us waiting one at a time to change. But there were no groups after us so it didn't make anyone else feel uncomfortable.
If this is all you have to worry about--------Then you are truly blessed!

What in the hell are you going to do when they become teen agers?

I have raised and am still raising 3 generations of kids and believe me you ain't seen nothing yet! (smile)
I agree with that completely. At the age of 7 my senile grandmother took me into a woman's bathroom at the airport (so I wouldn't get kidnapped.) Another woman came in, saw me standing in front of the mirror with my head down, and laughed. The hell if I'll ever do that to my children.
All the public pools I've ever been to have private stalls within the change room, but it sounds like yours doesn't. My oldest son is 6 and I have brought him with me into the public bathroom. If the pool has a rule against a certain age, then I certainly would wait for the family change room, but if not, I would take him in the women's with me if DH wasn't there to take him with him.



Better yet, I don't take my kids into the change rooms at all because they wear their swimsuits to the pool and back. I've had them change in the car (which has dark tinted windows in the rear and passenger side) when they haven't before, rather than make them change in the locker room.



JavatheHutt: It's not strange these days to see boys as old as 7 and 8 in the women's restrooms with their mothers, with the increase of sexual predators, mothers are just being careful, so while it might have been strange several years ago, today I see it all the time. I do it myself.
It's incredibly rude to bring boys into that room. The whole purpose of the ';female'; room is to serve females who want privacy from males. Some boys are brought in who arent even going to change, theyre just with a female. .Changing can be done in other available locations, including a family room, a car, or at home. At the very least, a heads up must be given to occupants. Older boys just being watched over can stand at the door, outside. And you are one of the few right on target as to age, I knew what was going on when I was 4, and I did not want to go in there. Think about this: what if the ones walking in on you are people you know? What if the boys next door have just been brought in to you by their mother, and there you stand on display. Or it's your classmates or friends. (And dont think older boys just being watched don't want to sneak in!) It's rude, it's selfish, and it's unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment