Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When an employee has a gender change operation, how much of the additional costs am I liable for?

Ok, so I figured it wasn't a big thing having new business cards made up along with re-touching the company group photo to reflect the change from a man to a woman by my HR Director, but now , since he is now a woman, my state requirment for X number of restroom facilities for women has been deemed lacking. Now I'm on the hook to install another restroom just because he decided to flip to the other gender.



Seems to me that, in the spirit of cooperation, he could continue the use the mens' room.



I have talked to him/her, and have not had a clear response from him/her.



I am concerned about my exposure here.When an employee has a gender change operation, how much of the additional costs am I liable for?
Having worked with transgendered (male to female) you must now refer to him as ';her'; without the slash. You stated your company employs 30 people. Regardless of sex or number of employees, you are only required to provide one restroom per 20 employees of any gender. Any complaints you receive from her are bogus. At this rate we'll soon be having to provide 2 extra washroom facilities. One for homosexuals and one for lesbians. Personally, I've used many men's washroom facilities in an emergency when the women's has been pre-occupied. Don't know what all the fuss is about myself.When an employee has a gender change operation, how much of the additional costs am I liable for?
you S out of luck, dude.



your next employee could easily have been a woman anyway and you can't discriminate against a woman applicant because you lack bathroom space.
He's not a real woman, now tell him to man up and get into the washroom with the rest of the guys!
well, if ALL you employees start dressing in drag...issue solved.
I hope your question is driven by ignorance, so reading a couple of sources below will help you to understand this matter.

The person doesn't flip to another gender. They correct their physical appearance (sex) to correspond the perceived gender (which, essentially, is what they are born with). Thus in the case when your employee has a gender reassignment surgery from male to female, it means that her sex (male) did not correspond her gender (female).

It's also extremely rude to say ';he'; or ';he/she'; about someone who identifies female, and clearly stated that fact to you.

As for your concerns about the washroom, I find it hard to believe that presence of one more woman changes the required number of restrooms, unless you didn't have any female employees and don't have a women restroom at all. It also can be qualified as discrimination against women, since what you essentially say is ';I will not hire women anymore, because presence of one more woman will cause me to install another restroom';.

In short: you can go the harassment/discrimination route, in which case I wish your transsexual female employee good luck in suing your butt.

Or you can flip your attitude: accept her rights, be professional, and not make such a big deal of the whole story. In this case I think everyone will forget about it in a month, and she will be treated as just any other woman in your workplace.

I think second is much easier and less costly.

No comments:

Post a Comment