Saturday, November 20, 2010

When online, why do people pretend they're the other gender?

and pretend they're another race, or lie about age height, I've seen many accounts pretending to be the other gender or say they're a child, like their questions didn't match their profile etc. I think it's okay to change something little like your name to be safe, changing gender, age or race is creepy to me. Why do people do this online and be fake, does anyone agree that this is creepy?



And how come some people will believe Anything people say here, when it's online?When online, why do people pretend they're the other gender?
I think it is creepy for an adult to pretend to be a child - As that is a sinister motive. That is a form of grooming and should really be reported.





Otherwise everyone here is blind about other people- which means you are judged on your answers not on what you look like or who you are.





I have not given any details about myself and I am amazed at the assumptions people make. The whole point of being online is that you are truly yourself, not a stereotype or a perception.





It possibly may irritate people who make judgements on others because their age, gender, race, religion because they can't put you in a category. I think you should view it as a test of your personality and nothing else.





I have a friend who refuses to answer questions as she always uses her height ( very tiny) to persuade people to see things her way.



That has been removed from her and guess what ....she is powerless on line. She can't manipulate or persuade.





If you are a honest open person, objective and sagacious individual you should be able to communicate with anybody.



If someone tells me they are a boy and they are really a girl - so what I get on with both sexes.





Someone wrote a letter about her daughter and I answered it. It was obviously a teenage girl writing it about herself I knew and answered the question. I confronted her about her age due to subject matter.



She confessed to being fourteen and agreed to tell her mother her problems.That was different, but if was a trivial subject - i couldn't care less who she was.





I don't care if you are an eighty year old man or a fourteen year old girl.



I don't judge people by their exterior I just answer questions.





Someone said '; Everyone says you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but when I go to the library that is the first thing I do';.





I think it is good for people to see if they are treated the same by others when you remove the exterior.



If people are as scrupulous, moral, and as open as they say they are - free from prejudice and bigotry - they should be able to get on with old and young alike. No-one should have a problem ';speaking blind';





If you are a person who believes you can judge people on appearance - it must be a nightmare as you cannot use your stereotypes to fit people into boxes. You also cannot discriminate successfully.





I take the internet with a pinch of salt, but I notice that people - especially the ones that seem younger are fairly credulous about the validity of the internet. They believe once it is written it is true.





This is why Wikipedia is not used in Colleges as valid source of research because anyone can write on the pages. I hear young people quoting sites that look as if a ten year old has written them as a joke - for valid sources of research.





The internet should be no problem if people are as wise, objective and discerning as they say they are on their resumes - unless they are lying!





I suppose if it bothers you - you should only speak to people that you can see. I am not prejudiced in anyway of anybody and anything. So I don't have to see what anybody looks like to speak to them. A bright 16 year old is more thought provoking than a bright twenty year old.





I agree with one of the answerers I am more irritated by people pretending to be intelligent and writing ludicrous answers than someone lying about their age.





I don't hate anyone in society and I don't restrict myself to talking to people who I believe look like me, live in the same country or are my age. I know some people do , but as I said they should just meet people face to face if appearance is so important.When online, why do people pretend they're the other gender?
Well, because for some people the internet is the only place where you get to be somebody who you always wanted to be and pass as it and have nobody question you.
Maby there gay
i do agree but i disagree too. i mean its wrong, but maybe they're trying to protect themselves from crazy people. it is creepy.
The internet is a huge role-play game.



By far the most common things people pretend they are on the internet is knowledgeable and intelligent.
I don't lie and yes i think its creepy
I lie about my weight.
To answer your first question:

People

Rejecting

Every

Day

And

To

Otherwise

Run

South

.

I edited to add the acronym.



The second question:

It's because there's no way to know for sure. I guess people just trust them because they want to assume that it's true.
I dunno, Butch, how come a 50 year guy like you wants to gab with teenagers? The interweb is a land of make believe!:)
well some do it to troll.theres plenty of people that do it on this section
Well, I have been talking in a chat room for about a year and a half. And I have seen a lot of this myself. My age on my profile is older than my actual age for two reasons: 1) So people take me seriously. 2) It's safer. Most people do it for similar reasons.
Dharma Nature hit the nail on the head. The internet is a game, a place to be whoever you want to be. I'm a white guy IRL, but I play a chick on World of Warcraft and a black guy on Rock Band. It's all just for fun.
Some people find it funny.

Once in a while ill go on habbo and pretend im a different race, or age. And when people believe me or something, idk i just think its kinda funny.



When it comes to age, some people who are like 10 online, and want to get an 'internet boyfriend' will pretend they are older like 17 or so, hoping they get a better chance.

And the other way around, people who are like 20, tell people they are younger so the people theyre talking to dont think 'omg creep, what a pedo, etc'
I've seen people on here say they're guys in real life but they have a female avatar. It's strange to me, maybe they're just living out their fantasy online. Either that or they wanna troll. I have learned that people on the net aren't always who they say they are, so I tend to be skeptical nowadays. They could be predators, you never know who's behind the computer screen.
  • hosting services
  • hair ideas
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment