Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My cousin is thinking of changing genders... how should I react?

I don't know how to react! Should I talk with her, should I ignore it, should I be happy? I want to be supportive, though.My cousin is thinking of changing genders... how should I react?
First you should know they are not changing genders! They are affirming their true inner gender. Some of us were born with a brain-body mismatch. It leads to a painful and confusing life until we decide to fix things and make ourselves whole. That process is called transition, when we change the outside to match the inside. You can read more about how this happens here:



http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/T





Be happy that they have chosen to be their true self.



The best way you can be supportive is to use their chosen name and pronouns without fail.My cousin is thinking of changing genders... how should I react?
depends how old she is but if she is of age....be cool, listen to her, be supportive of her cuz lord knows she will have alot of people against her....remember that she is the same person, your cousin, just in a different exterior
That is up to you how you react, but as someone who is in the process of doing so myself, if I were hir (a gender neutral pronoun), I would certainly want you to be as positive as possible about it.
well she came to you for a reason she is counting on you to be supportive or at lest hear her out. i think now probably the thing she wants most is someone to talk to, not necessary for you to talk back but to just sit their and let her get some things off her chest.



maybe ask her ';what has caused to feel this way'; this will give her a chance to explain the reasons behind her actions or her want to switch genders, and help you understand it yourself
the most important thing is to be supportive



she may want you to treat her the same way but obviously that wont be possible



so try and take it into consideration when talking to her but dont try and change her mind.



its up to her
React shocked, then be happy and supportive.
However you feel is the reaction your going to give... in this case I think your reaction is confusion/supportive.



Maybe you should open a dialogue with them, tell them you want to support them on their journey, ask what you can do to help, and if they can educate you on what's going on.



I also would recommend you look into transition (Google some words, transgender, transsexual, transman, transwoman, ect) because you need to work on your terms a little. You don't change your gender, gender is an immovable force of the mind.



Best wishes to you and your cousin!

No comments:

Post a Comment